Tuesday, August 4, 2009

24th of July Weekend

We had a great little vacation to Nevada for the 24th of July. I love going out to Lund and enjoying everything there is to do. I love that the kids can run free and there are no busy roads or other worries that come with living in the city. I love the wide open spaces. I love being able to go running in the hills and through the fields and smell sage brush, manure, and fresh cut alfalfa, instead of car exhaust. I love sitting outside and watching thunderstorms roll in and enjoy the smell that it brings. The most remarkable sun sets and sun rises that I have ever seen have been over the desert mountains in Nevada. I love going down to the garden and watching the kids run through the corn, chasing each other and remembering what it was like when I was a kid playing hide and seek in the corn. That is just the beginning of my list...



Yummy!! Fresh peas from the garden.

On Thursday I was able to go to my 10 year high school reunion and it was great to see some of my friends I went to High School with. There were only seven of us there, but considering there were only 14 in my graduating class, it was a pretty good turn out. It was fun to catch up with everyone.

On Friday we played with cousins, I helped my mom with a few things, we played in the garden, and then after some yummy hamburgers we went up into the hills. The youth in the stake were doing a 27 mile pioneer trek that same weekend. My parents and Lacy and Ben were involved with that (My parents were the grandma and grandpa, and Lacy and Ben were a ma and pa) and they were camping a mile or so out of town at the Big Ledges. Me and some of my brothers and sisters went up and provided a little bluegrass music for them to dance a little Virginia Reel to. When we got back we stayed up until the wee hours of the morning playing a little Wii tennis and laughing at each other as we each tried all of the different Wii fit games.

On Saturday we went to the parade where Hannah and William were able to ride on my families float with cousins and my 104 year old Grandma. Then we went to the program. For the program all of my brothers and sisters decided to surprise my mom and all play together in our bluegrass band. (fiddle, guitar, bass fiddle, mandolin) It had been almost 10 or more years since we had all played together. My mom did such a great job teaching us music, and then after leaving home, we just never got together to play, not that my mom didn't try to get us together. It was fun playing together again, and Hannah also got to play a song on her fiddle. We then went to the town BBQ, and watergames for the kids, got a quick nap, and then headed for the rodeo. I have not yet convinced Jake that rodeo's are fun, but I had a good time. After that we had a cook out in my parents back yard and watched the town fireworks from our back yard.
I love the 24th weekend in Lund.

Here are a few pictures from the Lund parade so you can see just how awesome the parade in Lund is.


Grandma Hendrix... going on 105 in September.


William and Makenna on the tractor with Christiann.



Do you see the fire truck behind the little horse and cart? The parade is so good that everyone wants to see it twice. The parade goes up one side of the street and back down the other side.



On Sunday after church and lunch we left to come back to Utah, without our kids. Jake and I had a little staycation the week following the 24th, and that deserves a post of its own.

Print Page

3 comments:

Martha said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Love the pictures!

Small Fry and Co. said...

That sounds like the most perfect vacation. Reading you talk about all the things you love about your home makes me think about all the things I love about mine in a very similar way. Sounded so relaxing and wonderful.

Bonnie said...

Gotta love small town holidays! We went to Panguitch for their 24th parade & man do they throw candy! Looks like a lot of fun! Especially the staycation w/o kids!